For most cats, shedding is a very natural part of their cycle, much like it is in the same way for humans.
We get rid of old hair so that new hair can grow, it improves the condition of the skin as well as our general wellbeing.
Certain breeds of long-haired cats tend to shed a lot more than others, so this shouldn’t be a cause of alarm.
However, what happens when you suddenly notice that your cat is shedding a lot more than usual?
If your cat has started developing bald spots or is losing its fur at an alarming rate, it might be a sign that something serious is wrong and a radical change in diet could be in order. Check with your veterinarian to rule out any digestive or intestinal damage.
If your cat does shed a lot naturally, it can be a hassle to clean continuously throughout the day. You might have to use sticky tape or a strong hoover to remove it from the carpet and furniture.
Cat hair also looks very unsightly and you might want to avoid it wherever possible, especially if you have guests over frequently.
But what are the best dietary cat foods you can buy to prevent excess shedding? What ingredients should a cat food have to make sure your cat has lustrous skin and a thick, healthy coat? How much can you be looking to spend on a portion of decent cat food for shedding?
Well, you won’t have to choose between your favorite pet and your favorite armchair, because we’ve got a comprehensive list of some of the best cat foods for shedding currently on the market.
We’ve also got a buyer’s guide that will give you some valuable information on your next purchase as well as some frequently asked questions.
This cat food does not contain grains that will be processed as waste in your cat’s digestion, composed of a natural food formula that will encourage your cat’s immune system and skin health – introducing Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Cat Food.
The Blue Wilderness cat food is a dry mix that is made with all-natural ingredients that, with a rich blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to promote better skin and fur quality.
This cat food has no byproducts like meal, wheat or soy, so you can expect your cat to digest this with the minimum of fuss.
A lot of skin issues stem from a cat’s poor digestion, often hampered by having to eat a lot of processed foods. This can manifest itself as blotches on the skin which can become irritated and itchy, leading to further shedding.
- This dry cat food has a high level of protein. The skin and muscle health of your cat will be significantly improved by just a short course of this cat food.
- Free of additives – your cat will have a much easier time digesting this cat food, the natural ingredients are more in keeping with the diet that your feline will have in the wild.
- With much fewer carbohydrates, you can keep the weight of your cat at a healthy level, which will also help reduce the risks of diabetes.
- The price – this is probably the cheapest cat food on our list, perfect for owners who want the most from their cat’s diet without breaking the bank.
- Because it is dry cat food, this might be a lot more difficult to chew than wet cat food. Add water to this to make it easier to digest.
It has a delicious chicken composition with a healthy blend of whole grains, giving your cat plenty of fiber that will reduce the likelihood of hairballs – introducing Nutro Perfect Natural Wet Cat Food.
This cat food is packed full of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to improve the immune system of your cat and reduce the amount of natural shedding. There are also plenty of omega-3 fatty acids that will promote healthy skin and shiny, thick fur that won’t fall out.
This cat food keeps the ingredients very low, featuring no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, so you can be sure that your cat will have a balanced digestive system that is not too overworked.
- The omega-6 elements of this cat food make for healthy hair and skin, reducing the amount of shedding that your cat does all the year-round.
- The lack of artificial ingredients boosts the number of nutrients that your cat can digest – your cat really will get the most out of this wet cat food.
- Cats often regurgitate certain dry cat foods, but the texture of this particular brand is smooth and edible, allowing your cat to keep a lot more down.
- This cat food has a wide nutrient profile, there is no part of your cat that will not benefit from a steady diet of the Nutro Perfect twice a day.
- The price – with increased quality of recipe and ingredients comes an increased price tag. This will dissuade cat owners who want to keep their budget low.
This cat food is crammed full of great amino acids and essential nutrients that will keep both the inside and the outside of your cat extremely healthy – introducing Blue Buffalo Natural Adult Dry Cat Food.
This kitty food is fabricated from whole grains such as brown rice, barley and oats that will boost the levels of complex carbs in your cat’s body. The high fiber content will also keep hairballs to a bare minimum, resulting in harder stool and regular bowel movements.
There are also plenty of healthy vegetables in this like carrots, sweet potatoes, parsley and cranberries that contain phytonutrients that promote the general well-being of your kitty. It also contains deboned chicken, which is a high course of protein.
- The high protein of this food will lead to incredible skin and fur quality – shedding will be greatly reduced in all breeds of cat.
- There are no fillers – the lack of artificial elements of this food makes it more in keeping with your feline’s natural digestion that it would have in the wild.
- The added vegetable content makes this brand of cat food one of the more nutrient-rich on this list, packed with essential vitamins and nutrients that will keep its coat nice and healthy.
- The fiber content is very high, meaning better digestion and bowel movements, all of which will not negatively impact the skin.
- This cat food contains meal, which is very low in nutrients and will just pass right through your cat.
- The price – this is another very expensive cat food, although with a higher price comes a higher level of quality.
With a low amount of all-natural ingredients, this cat food will ensure not only lustrous fur and skin but healthy digestion and bowel movements – introducing AvoDerm Natural Tuna Wet Cat Food.
This cat food will provide your cat with an extremely balanced diet, with plenty of natural nutrients and vitamins that your cat will need to stay in great condition.
The antioxidants also support the cat’s immune system, allowing it to recover from skin-related conditions such as mites and scabies.
The levels of omega-6 and omega-3 acids in this cat food are exceptionally high, providing your cat with top-level joint and brain health, as well as ensuring a strong and lustrous coat, which will cut down on fur loss and hairballs.
- The wild aspect of this cat food means that it will have the same diet as it would in nature – a cat’s evolution took millions of years to get to this point, it’s best to stick to nature’s menu!
- The omega acids in this food give your cat the oils that it needs to flourish, result in a healthy coat and skin that will be noticeable within a few weeks of switching your cat’s food.
- The avocado ingredients – avocado promotes the skin and digestion of your cat, again, in a completely natural way.
- This cat food gives your feline the optimal level of protection both inside and out.
- Some users have reported that their cat simply refuses this cat food, possibly due to a disagreement with the avocado.
- The price – this is another very expensive brand of cat food.
That’s because it has an all-natural recipe, with very few fillers, giving the cat 38 grams of protein per serving – introducing Purina One Hairball Natural Adult Dry Cat Food.
Chicken is the order of the day with this cat food, and real chicken too! This results in a great source of protein for cats, as well as a flavor that they know and love. It is easily digestible with zero artificial fillers, meeting all of your cat’s natural dietary requirements.
This cat food uses a special blend that is very high in fiber that will reduce the number of hairballs and control the levels of shedding. Brimming with Omega-3 acids, this cat food will also ensure that your cat’s skin stays in premium condition.
- This cat food comes recommended by both cat owners and veterinarians – you can’t go wrong with cat food that comes certified by the professionals!
- The price – this is one of the cheaper cat food brands that we’ve looked at so far, which is perfect for those cat owners who want to save money on their cleaning bill and their cat food.
- The high protein content of this cat food will encourage only the very best skin and muscle condition – resulting in far less shedding and fewer hairballs.
- The lack of harmful additives also means that you’ll be looking at a healthy bowel movement and intestinal condition, usually one of the main reasons for a cat developing bald patches and skin conditions.
- This cat food has been reported to not be great for cats with sensitive stomachs, perhaps due to the high meal content.
Shedding is a concern for cat owners, especially those that want to keep their house clean and free of cat hair.
Changing your cat’s diet will certainly be one way of reducing shedding by making sure that their coat is lustrous and healthy. Another way of doing this is through regular grooming to remove stray hairs that will accumulate.
Here are some tips to help groom your cat to avoid the accumulation of unsightly cat hairs.
Make Sure Your Cat Feels Comfortable
Brush your cat’s fur away from its head slowly and gently.
If your cat tends to be skittish, then you should talk to it in a low and soothing voice.
Treats are a great way to relax your cat during a grooming session. If you use treats over repeated time, then your cat will soon start to enjoy these grooming sessions.
Start your grooming sessions short then, as you can feel your cat relaxing into them, make them longer and longer. The longer you groom your cat, the more hair you’ll be able to remove from it with your brush.
Longer grooming also removes dead skin cells from your cat.
Groom Your Cat In The Correct Manner
Comb in the direction of the growth of your cat’s hair to avoid discomfort.
If your cat has knots or tangles, you might have to cut them out rather than forcibly combing through them, which might cause your cat further discomfort.
Invest In Different Grooming Brushes
With a longhaired cat, start by combing the hair with a wide-toothed comb to separate the hairs. Then follow this up with a narrow-toothed comb to unpick those hard-to-get knots.
Make sure you have consulted your vet and ruled out the possibility of any underlying medical issues that could be the cause of your cat’s shedding.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Way To Minimize Hair Loss On Your Cat?
Make sure your cat has a balanced diet of nutrient-rich minerals. A cat that gets plenty of omega oils through natural fish ingredients will have a thicker and healthier coat.
Groom your cat regularly using a brush with soft bristles or possibly a grooming glove if you have one. A lot of cats can find grooming uncomfortable, so you must make this experience as comfortable for them as possible.
Bath your cat every 2 to 4 weeks. If your cat is averse to baths, supplement their washing with grooming wipes.
Regularly check your cat for parasites and ensure that there are no red lumps or bites on its skin. If your cat does have fleas, purchase some medical ointment for your veterinarian.
What Ingredients Should You Look For On Your Cat Food?
When checking the label on your cat food, make sure that the food is very rich in protein. Cats are very active creatures and get into all sorts of scrapes and fights with other felines and will need plenty of protein to heal cuts and scratches quicker.
Make sure the proteins that your cat gets are animal rather than plant-based. A plant-based diet is simply not effective for maintaining a carnivorous animal such as a cat.
Protein will also help maintain the quality of your cat’s coat and reduce the amount of shedding. When buying cat food to reduce shedding, make sure the protein accounts for 45% of its whole composition.
Ensure that your cat has plenty of antioxidants such as beta-carotene, bioflavonoids, vitamins C and E as well as amino acids. These will help support all the functions of your cat’s body.